Posted by: birdsandsquirrels | December 14, 2009

38 week appointment

I had my regular appointment, a NST and an ultrasound to “rule out fetal macrosomia” on Friday. The roads were terrible and slippery, and I was in tears while driving myself the 45 minutes to the doctor’s office. It normally takes about 20 minutes. I was pissed at S for going into work and not driving me to the appointment. He was going to meet me at the appointment anyway, but his work isn’t far from my doctor’s office, so normally it would have made good sense to just meet there. We had just had two snow days in a row for a blizzard, it was 12 degrees out, even the main roads were still terrible, and people were sliding all over the place. I was a nervous wreck.

At what point should a heavily pregnant woman not drive around alone in snow and ice?

S met an unhappy Birds at the doctor’s office. They had me sit for the NST for like 45 minutes. I’m not quite sure why they left me there so long, but in the end they said baby Bird looked good and reactive. My regular OB wasn’t there so her partner came in and checked me out. I kinda thought she might check my cervix, but no. I was hoping to find out what my doctor thought the plan should be, since she had been talking about induction around 39 weeks, but she wasn’t there. I told the other ob about the sharp pains I’ve been having in the lower left side of my belly. She reached down (I was still in the recliner from the NST) and squeezed really hard just above my pelvic bone and I jumped about 3 feet out of the chair. “I think it’s just the baby’s head causing a lot of pressure,” she said. Ouch. Maybe it’s a good thing that she didn’t do an internal. She does not have a gentle touch, or give any warning that she’s about to do something painful!

The ultrasound was interesting. Baby is estimated to weigh about 7.5 lbs right now, with quite a large head circumference (I think it was 95th percentile), which concerns me, especially because of my tailbone and pelvic problems! The u/s tech looked at S and I and said something about how we don’t have unusually large heads so it will probably be fine. We looked at each other and laughed, because we do both have quite large noggins. S has a hard time finding hats that fit him, and my head is not small either. I don’t know what kind of delusional she is. There was apparently plenty of fluid, the baby was practice breathing, and everything looks good.

The u/s tech was pleased that the baby isn’t 10 lbs or anything, and said that the doctor probably wouldn’t call, that I would just see her at my next appointment. My next appointment is at 39 weeks. Me, being the control freak that I am, was hoping to hear my doctor’s thoughts about a plan for induction. I didn’t really expect her to set a date right then or anything, but it would have been nice to know her thoughts.

In the meantime, I have mostly packed my bag for the hospital. We cleared up some space in the house, took our recycling to the recycling center (no small feat with all this snow we have), and bought some last minute items at BRU. I don’t feel like everything is ready, but I’ll never feel ready. I’d love to give the whole house a thorough cleaning, but I don’t have the energy. I’d love to get the baby’s room looking more like a nursery and less like a spare room with some baby crap shoved in there. I did order some art for the walls from Children Inspire Design .  I got the number and letter wall cards. I would have loved to buy some of the bird art canvases, but it’s not in the budget right now.

In other news, even though they weren’t due until mid-January, BIL and SIL had their baby by c section yesterday. The baby was large for being 3 weeks early (close to 9 lbs – she’s diabetic) but they are both doing well. We are officially not having the first grandchild. I know it’s not a competition and it’s silly to even have ANY energy about it, but MIL for the past several months has made a big deal about who would have their baby first, and I’m fucking sick of hearing about it.

Anxiety is rearing it’s ugly head again. I keep worrying if there is enough movement. I keep thinking that something could still go wrong. We are so close to the finish line, yet there is always that ‘what if…’. I want her out. I want her out alive and healthy. I want to meet her and hold her and hear her cry. At the same time, I want to cherish these last few days (weeks?) of being pregnant, since it may not happen again.



  1. I’m glad your baby looks good-sized (i.e. not too big). I can totally relate to the big head thing — I have trouble finding hats that fit too! I’m sure this baby will have the same issue. And I hear you about wanting to enjoy the last few weeks of pregnancy yet yearning for the finish line, to see the baby alive and well. That’s been my story the entire pregnancy! You’re almost there, though — could be any time now, really! Thinking of you!

  2. Call and leave a message to that you want to talk to your OB if it’s going to worry you. Hopefully she’ll call you back in a couple days and you’ll have something to hold on to about possibly being induced.

    I didn’t see the individual measurements from the last time they measured mine, but my OB was looking at them and told me that he was measuring largest in the head. I was like, “Ok, didn’t really NEED to know that!”

    Enjoy as much of these last days as you can. Try to trust your OB and not get too worried about measurements and details and such (that little head will get squished on the way out any how). This is terribly condescending, but sometimes to reassure myself, I stare at all the moms in walmart or fast food joints and think, they did it, so can I, and so can you! You will survive and hopefully no matter what happens the recovery will pale in comparison to the joy of baby bird!

  3. I’ve been thinking of you constantly! I’m sorry the weather sucks. And I’m sorry BIL and SIL had the baby first. I know how that must bug you. I can’t wait for it to be your turn!! Call if you want to chat! Miss you!

  4. Thanks. This was her at 4 weeks. Amazing how fast they change. I blink and think i have mised something. lol

    Glad to hear you are doing well. Your day will be here soon. YAAA So excited. Can’t wait to hear all about it and see pictures 🙂

    Don’t worry about delivery cause seriously…EPIDURAL!!!!!!! Takes care of it all. You sooo won’t feel a thing and you can actually relax and enjoy the process. You will do Awespme I just know it.

    Take care and keep in touch 🙂 Tracy

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: